President Benigno S. Aquino III, together with Secretary Ramon J.P. Paje of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, and Louie R. Sarmiento, President of the Philippine Mine Safety and Environment Association, recently recognized mining companies applying the best mining practices in the fields of mineral exploration, surface mining and processing in the country for 2015.
Thru the Presidential Mineral Industry Environmental Awards (PMIEA) established in 1999 under Executive Order No. 339, recognition is given to the private mineral sector's initiatives and exemplary achievements in the protection of the environment.
The awardees were:
• Silangan Mindanao Mining Company, Inc. for Mineral Exploration Category;
• SR Metals, Inc., OceanaGold (Phils.), Inc. and Rio Tuba Nickel Mining Corporation for Surface Mining Operation Category; and
• Coral Bay Nickel Corporation for Mineral Processing Category.
The runners-up were:
• Mt. Labo Exploration and Development Corporation/Galeo Equipment Corporation for Mineral Exploration Category;
• Apo Cement Corporation for Mineral Processing Category;
• Holcim Philippines, Incorporated - La Union Plant; Holcim Philippines, Incorporated - Davao Plant; Lafarge Republic Aggregates, Incorporated; Eagle Cement Corporation; and Lafarge Republic Aggregates, Incorporated - Bulacan Plant for Quarrying Operation Category; and
• Minimax Mineral Exploration Corporation/Agata Mining Ventures, Incorporated and Cagdianao Mining Corporation for Surface Mining Operation.
In his message, President Aquino noted that the awardees "have performed well in protecting the environment, keeping their operations safe and helping the communities in which they operate."
The President also encouraged the sustainability of mining activities in the country through continued fruitful engagement of mining groups and companies with the communities and government.
The PMIEA was established to ensure that mining activities will be conducted in an environmentally responsible manner to achieve and maintain sustainable conditions at every stage of the mining operation. It also envisions the establishment of an economically viable and socially acceptable post-mining land use.
By: Mine Safety, Environment and Social Development Division
(L to R) DENR Sec. Ramon J.P. Paje, Pres. Benigno S. Aquino III, with Mr. Yulo E. Perez
and Engr. Eulalio B. Austin, Jr.; President and Chief Operating Officer, and
Chairman, respectively of Silangan Mindanao Mining Company, Inc.
(L to R) DENR Sec. Ramon J.P. Paje, Pres. Benigno S. Aquino III, with Mr. Miguel Alberto V. Gutierrez
and Mr. Honorio F. De Leon; President and Senior Resident Manager, respectively of SR Metals, Inc.
(L to R) DENR Sec. Ramon J.P. Paje and Pres. Benigno S. Aquino III, with
Mr. Jose P. Leviste, Jr. and Mr. David Way; Chairman and Director, OceanaGold Corp.;
and General Manager-Didipio Operation of OceanaGold (Phils.), Inc., respectively.
(L to R) DENR Sec. Ramon J.P. Paje and Pres. Benigno S. Aquino III, with Mr. Gerard H. Brimo
and Mr. Jose B. Anievas; Chief Exec. Officer-President, and Senior Vice-President
and Chief Operating Officer, respectively of Rio Tuba Nickel Mining Corporation.
(L to R) DENR Sec. Ramon J.P. Paje and Pres. Benigno S. Aquino III, with Mr. Takeshi Kubota and
Mr. Takanori Fujimura; President and Board Chairman, respectively of Coral Bay Nickel Corporation
- Published: 17 February 2016