The Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) has finalized the proposed Revised Implementing Rules and Regulations (RIRR) of Republic Act No. 7076, “The People’s Small-Scale Mining Act of 1991,” pursuant to the provisions of Executive Order No. 79 and its implementing rules and regulations.
The major features of the proposed RIRR include the following provisions:
- Additional areas that may be declared as Minahang Bayan;
- Confinement of engineered mineral processing activities with tailings disposal system within mineral processing zones;
- Imposition of a Programmatic Environmental Impact Assessment covering each Minahang Bayan;
- Imposition of a Community Development and Management Program, Annual Safety and Health Program and Potential Environmental Impact Report;
- Prohibition of mercury in any phase of mining and mineral processing;
- Prohibition of hydraulicking and compressor mining; and
- Limitation of Small-Scale Mining metallic minerals to gold, silver and chromite.
The crafting of the proposed RIRR has undergone consultations, in coordination with the Department of the Interior and Local Government, thru fifteen (15) regional and one (1) national summits in 2012. These were participated in by the Provincial Governors/City Mayors, large-scale and small-scale miners and non-government organization concerned.
By: Mining Technology Division
- Published: 26 November 2014