The second leg of the Mining Review Dissemination Forum was virtually executed on August 11, 2021, at 8:45 AM - 12:00 NN through the Zoom application. It is spearheaded by the interagency Mining Industry Coordinating Council's (MICC) which managed to review 44 large-scale metallic mines from 2018 to December 2020.
The objective of the forum is for the MICC Technical Review Teams (TRTs) to present the gaps and issues limiting the mining sector from an effective contribution to national and regional development, and to recommend interventions and policy measures that will ensure a more responsible and sustainable mining sector.
The following are the scope of performance aspects of the mining sector that was reviewed by MICC TRTs.
- Technical - appropriateness, adequacy, and efficiency of mining methods and technology employed;
- Environmental - impact on ecosystems and biodiversity;
- Economic - impact on livelihood, employment, local revenue, alleviating poverty, cost-benefit analysis of the selected mining operations;
- Social - impact on the access to social services and facilities; and
- Legal - compliance with mining laws, rules and regulations, and other laws; adequacy of the previous quarry permits, licenses, and contract issued.
A group of technical specialists presented the different reviews noted and was led by MICC TRT overall team leader Dr. Marian de los Angeles.
The forum ended with reactions from the group of panelist: Engr. Roland A. De Jesus, Assistant Director, MGB; Mr. Vincent Lazatin, National Coordinator, Bantay Kita; and Dr. Mario A. Aurelio, Director, National Institute of Geological Sciences.
By: Mineral Economics, Information and Publication Division